W-2/W-2c and 1095-C Electronic Consent
The Illinois State University Payroll Office is pleased to announce that active employees may elect to receive their W-2 and 1095-C statements online through iPeople Employee Self Service in an IRS approved PDF format. This allows you to print and send the online form with your tax return. Employees will not have to worry about their tax documents being lost in the mail. Please call the University Payroll Office at (309) 438-7677 with any questions.
Benefits of Receiving Your Tax Documents Electronically
- Online delivery provides access to tax documents earlier than the traditional paper process.
- Online delivery greatly reduces the chance that the statement will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery or misplaced after the employee receives it.
- Employees can retrieve their tax documents at anytime, anywhere.
- Employees can print multiple copies at their convenience.
- Tax documents will remain accessible online for multiple years.
- Electronic tax documents are more environmentally sustainable and cost friendly.
Giving Consent and Accessing Tax Documents Electronically
Federal regulations require that employees give their consent to receive their tax documents in an electronic format only. Once consent is given, it carries forward each year and does not need to be repeated. The process for giving consent and accessing your electronic tax documents is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Consent to receive your tax documents electronically. Instructions can be found here.
- Watch for an email notification alerting you that your tax documents are available on iPeople Employee Self Service.
- View and print your tax documents.
- An employee who consents to receive their tax documents electronically will not receive a paper copy. If an employee does not consent, the University Payroll Office will mail their tax documents, using the US Postal Service, to their current address on record.
- The Electronic Form W-2 Consent Statement is effective for Forms W-2 issued for the current calendar year and all future periods until consent is withdrawn or the individual is no longer employed by Illinois State University.
- The Electronic 1095-C Consent Statement is effective for 1095-C forms issued for the current calendar year and all future periods until consent is withdrawn or the individual is no longer employed by Illinois State University.
- After giving consent, an employee may still request a paper form by contacting the Payroll Office in writing. The request for a paper form will not be considered as revoking consent to receive the form(s) electronically.
- An employee may withdraw their consent through iPeople Employee Self Service and submitting the change. The withdrawal of consent does not apply to a form that was furnished electronically before the withdrawal of consent via Employee Self Service.
- Illinois State University will not provide the form electronically to an individual who has terminated their employment prior to January 31. These individuals will receive paper copies via U.S. mail. Only active University employees will have access to the electronic version of the form. If a former employee requires an additional copy of the form, they may follow the aforementioned methods of contacting the Payroll Office.
- If an employee has consented to receive an electronic version of a form and has not printed the form prior to termination, they should contact the Payroll office in order to receive a paper copy via U.S. mail.
- An employee must immediately update any contact information (mailing address, name change, etc.) by completing the Change of Address form in Campus Solutions.
- The form may be required to be printed and attached to a federal, state, or local income tax return.